Research has consistently shown that exercise is greatly enhanced when you’re with a friend or in a group setting. Having someone who holds you accountable really helps keep you on track. They give you reinforcement on the difficult days and celebrate with you when things are going great. As the saying goes, ‘there’s strength in numbers.’ And that’s especially true when it comes to exercise.
An exercise buddy (or two) not only makes it more personal but actually encourages physical activity. Exercise partners provide a powerful combination of support, accountability, motivation and, in some cases, healthy competition.
“They can play the role of team mate, co-coach and cheerleader — all while working out,” says Michelle P. Maidenberg, PhD, MPH, clinical director of Westchester Group Works in Harrison, N.Y.
5 Reasons to Schedule Your Next Workout with a Friend
1. Get a Boost – A study of 1,000 women found that 64% of those who run, go to the gym or attend group exercise classes with friends will push themselves harder than if they went alone. So you will get more out of your workout and burn more calories just by bringing a buddy.
2. Commit to Get Fit – Exercising with a friend means you’ll be more likely to do it. If you skip out on your workout, you will be disappointing someone else by cancelling. Afterall, it’s all about accountability. And being accountable to a friend provides a good way to carry through on your commitment to enhance your fitness and health. We all have those days when they just don’t feel like exercising, and those are exactly the times when your friends can offer encouragement and keep you moving towards your goals.
3. Learn New Moves – Working out alone can leave you stuck in the same routine with the same moves. Exercising with a partner or group can help broaden the scope of your routine and even make you think about your old routine in a new way. Your classmates might request something from the workout that you would never think to ask for, or may ask a question that deepens your understanding of how to perform the exercise.
4. Strengthen Your Relationship – Sweating it out together allows you to connect with your workout partner. Not only do you push each other through a challenging workout, but you have a chance to connect and help each other overcome challenges. Making those tough sessions more fun, plus spending time together regularly can allow you to grow closer to your workout buddies!
5. Get More Bang for Your Buck – Maybe you’ve been thinking about signing up for private instruction but just don’t have room in your budget for a series of solo sessions. Scheduling a buddy class will lighten your individual cost and, as long as you and your friend are at similar fitness levels, the session should be just as beneficial as a one-on-one appointment.
Head to the Our Classes section and book in your Buddy Class today